Mr Mohan Siroya veteran journalist and friend sent me this exclusive on his experience and comments of the IFFI GOA 2010, to be published on Sachiniti.
A DETAILED ANALYTICAL REPORT FROM MOHAN SIROYA
A DETAILED ANALYTICAL REPORT FROM MOHAN SIROYA
A COMEDY OF ERRORS AND MIS-MANAGEMENT GALORE, LACK OF FESTIVAL SPIRIT AND INFERIOR QUALITY OF SELECTED FILMS FOR “CINEMA OF THE WORLD” OBSERVED FROM START TO FINISH
IFFI 2009 -Goa perhaps had come out of teething troubles as it was better organized with large number of quality films. So this year the expectations were high about the fest ,but what the delegates and media saw was a complete chaos till first 3 days .
- As per long standing practice of the fest, directorate used to screen a few shows of foreign films two days prior to inauguration day for the press/media to enable them to taste the palate before hand to build up arousal .This year those who reported earlier had to cool their heels in disappointment as no shows were kept. On the prior day of inauguration, of course there were screenings BUT ALL OF INDIAN PANORAMA films. None cared to inform before hand or afterwards why?
- Boards were put prominently debarring carrying of any food and “beverage” inside auditorium. Funnily the security staff continued to include our own “Warm water bottles” as beverage. I had asked the CM and Festival Director in the first press conference as to what security risk , a senior citizen carrying his /her own warm water bottle will pose besides denying a normal human facility, the CM had agreed that it should be allowed and accordingly had told the Director . Unfortunately the security was an authority unto itself being 3 tier viz; CISF ,local police and theatre guards with zero co-0rdination. Festival Directorate and the local sponsors – Entertainment Society of Goa (ESG) supposed to provide facilitation of infrastructure appeared to be at loggerheads with all other coordinating agencies. Even co-ordination lacked between the media centre (managed by PIB),directorate and the CEO of ESG- Goa. ESG CEO promised many things for facilitation and comforts but very few were fulfilled. Because there was a facility for a daily delegate , local children or those less than 18 years even got registered and attended although legally they can not view “A” or uncensored festival films.
- First organizers decided to open computerized ticketing only on the morning of first day of fest(23rd). Delegates and media had to protest since the screenings were scheduled at 9 a.m. Then the booking started earlier day on 22 nd( before inauguration) but neither the printed Schedule with film code no. nor the film catalogues were available . By evening only the Indian Panorama Films catalogue was made available sans cinema of the world catalogue . Hence for the first two days, we had to select the films to watch only on “Guess”. A few of the media persons could not get the catalogue even after 3 days because of shortage and lack of communication. DFF , who was responsible for that could not explain the delay. Less said the better about the “Incomplete Info” in the World Cinema catalogue. There was neither any film indexing for convenience nor any credit/award details were mentioned about the films which can reflect on the quality of films. Compared to this shoddy and delayed work, the catalogue of Indian Panorama films was much better in all respects. (more…)
Mr. Mohan Siroya, veteran journalist sent me his views and review on IFFI 2009.
A detailed, analytical report of the festival and films (IFFI)
From Mohan Siroya
- SMOOTH AND DIGNIFIED TAKE OFF with cultural dance fiesta .
- Usual Mismanagement galore from Entertainment Society of GOA (ESG)
- TIICK 20 – A Massive Flop
- Comparatively below standard selection of films by DFF, except for Indian Panorama.
- Opening film “Wheat “ was poor but closing film “Broken Embraces” was brilliant and a saving grace of the fest.
- Impressive show by Films division with “Moments with Maestros”
- Grand finale function with reknowned actor Mammooty as the Chief guest , and endearing “Naad Swar” performances by classical maestro percussionists from different parts of India , followed by ace closing film “Broken Embraces”
- Record no of 6500 delegates and 400 media persons
The Inaugural Function
Inaugural event was dignified and befitting to the rich cultural heritage of India. Veteran ,talented and elegant actress Waheeda Rehman was the Chief Guest , while actress Asin added a touch of glamour by assisting the Chief Guest in Lamp lighting.. Another plus point was flawless compering by the actors, stalwart Kabir Bedi and beauteous Divya Dutta. (more…)
Update: Have changed the header from ‘Om Puris wife Exposes embarassing truths in biography’ to the present one, for reasons which will be clear on reading through.The past four years of my life as a blogger whence I chose to write on topics after a careful and meticulous pre ponderance so as not to ‘take sides’ undeservedly, provided no cause for regrets. This is the first episode where I confess that I granted too much credibility to Om Puri and allowed my heart to bleed for his alleged predicament. What a sucker I was!!.
Link to the article that made me want to take up cudgels for him, empathise with the sense of victimisation he had (I thought) expressed so honestly,heart breakingly, so here I was holding my ground for Om Puri the old and greying thespian who , as quoted by him, was now a butt of cheap gossip,when it was actually me being taken for a royal ride with my gullibility exposing itself wholly despite the fact that my blogger friends repeatedly warned me that it was merely a premeditated publicity gimmick. (more…)
If Breaking News ‘ Shine Ahuja accused of rape’ is the current favorite of television channels, always hot in pursuit of sensational bytes that may help transmogrify their vapid fare post election, its no surprise, when little seems to catch the viewers fancy.
My reaction..disbelief> cynical wave off> piqued to know the truth and nothing but the truth. Somehow frenzied hurling of invectives at an accused, categorical accusation blatantly vitriolic, a tendency such as this is avoided stubbornly. One cannot live with the guilt of having jumped the gun even before the courts verdict of indictment and uncaringly irresponsibly, insensitively go hammer and tongs at our fellow beings. It speaks poorly of our humanistic attributes,. Lets not be the first to cast stones..but the last.
At the outset, I confess that somehow this episode leaves me in serious doubt. (more…)
Sometimes inadvertently one recalls moments from films that seem to have been deeply ingrained in ones subconscious. Not necessarily those that inspire , yet they have made a dent. On the other hand there may be songs that leave one numb with emotion or romantic to the core, as the situation may be, when one listens to them. Sadly, most of these on screen leave you numb..this time sans emotion. Their picturisation is bereft of a modicum of innovation. They just dont live up to the promise of the music and lyrics. My list of favourite songs hence will differ hugely from the list of favourite song picturisations. (more…)